Want to increase your marks by writing better, stronger essays?
Option #1: Websites with online writing resources:
- Online Writing Lab (Purdue) Lots of writing resources, for example Processes, Essay Genres and Language and Style.
- Essay Writing (Adelaide University) Tips for Planning your Essay and Writing your Conclusion.
- Online Writing Lab (Roane) Explore the BLUE Menu on the left to discover resources to help.
Option #2: Change how you take and make notes. This can make a HUGE difference to your final essay.
The best notes have three parts:
Putting the URL (or title) of where the info came from saves you from feeling pain and stress down the track.
2. TAKING NOTES
“Taking” the most important ideas from another source, you put them into your own words, use dot points and underline headings
3. MAKING NOTES
This is the ticket to better marks because it’s about higher order thinking skills.
- Writing your own thoughts and ideas near where you had that thought.
- Identify themes across all your readings.
- Writing hints to yourself like “Great for Part A of Assignment”.
Option #3: Check out these free online eBooks
- Writing For Success – a text that provides assistance in writing, reading and critical thinking.
- About Writing Guide – easy to follow sections on composition, grammar and research.
- Writing in College: From Competence to Excellence – assistance in moving beyond the five-paragraph essay.
Option #4: Bring your draft to a teacher librarian or to your classroom teacher for individual advice.